The shipping carrier interface feature allows Microsoft Dynamics AX customers to integrate with shipping software. The shipping software packages can pull information from Microsoft Dynamics AX, process packages, and then move their information into Microsoft Dynamics AX, eliminating manual entry and improving tracking visibility.
Shipping Carrier Feature Concepts
The feature is designed to support carrier software that can read information from Microsoft Dynamics AX and write information back into Microsoft Dynamics AX.
The Shipping Carrier Interface feature is controlled by a Trade configuration key called Shipping Carrier. This configuration key is shipped as active with the default installation. The feature requires additional setup steps to be taken using the following forms to activate the process
- Carrier Interface
- Carrier Companies
- Carrier IDs
- Modes of Delivery
- Terms of Delivery
- Return address
Very first step is to install shipping carrier software (AX supported) which is provided by consultant
For detailed instructions, consult the documentation provided with the shipping carrier software you are using.
- Click System administration > Setup > Licensing > License configuration.
- Expand the Trade list.
- Select the Shipping carrier configuration key.
- Click OK, and then restart the Microsoft Dynamics AX client.
Select the return address that will be printed on packing slips and invoices.
- Click Inventory management > Setup > Inventory and warehouse management parameters.
- In the Return to field, select the return address to use for shipping documents from the following options:
- Company – Use the legal entity address that is specified in the Legal entities form.
- Warehouse – Use the address of the warehouse from which the shipment is sent.
- Site – Use the address of the site from which the shipment is sent.
You can use existing miscellaneous charges codes or create new ones to use for shipping charges that are transferred from the shipping carrier software. If necessary, create miscellaneous charges codes for the following types of shipping charges:
- Core freight charges – Used for shipping charges that are based on the weight of the shipment.
- Ancillary charges – Used for ancillary charges that are applied to a shipment.
- Handling – Used for handling charges that are applied to a shipment, such as COD. fees.
- Fuel surcharges – Used for surcharges that are related to the price of fuel and are typically applied to an entire shipment.
For more information, see Charges code (form).
- Click Accounts receivable > Setup > Charges > Charges code.
- Select or create a miscellaneous charges code.
- Click the Posting FastTab.
- Select the Customer/Vendor debit type.
- Select the Ledger account credit type and the Order, freight posting type, and then select a credit posting account.
- Repeat steps 2 through 5 for the remaining miscellaneous charges codes that you will use for shipping charges.
Set up a code to represent the carrier company and account information for each of the warehouses or other locations from which you ship goods. Later, you can assign an account code to a mode of delivery that represents shipments from each warehouse. For more information, see Carrier company (form).
- Click Inventory management > Setup > Shipping carrier > Carrier company.
- Select a carrier and enter a tracking number URL.
- Select the vendor account for the shipping carrier.
- On the General FastTab, select a miscellaneous charges code for each of the fields.
- On the Accounts FastTab, enter an account code and select a carrier company.
- In the Carrier account number field, enter the number that is used by the carrier to bill your organization.
- In the Currency field, enter the currency code that represents the currency that is used by the carrier software. This currency is assigned to all charges that are received from the carrier software for this account when the packing slip is posted.
- If you are using the Kewill Clippership shipping carrier software interface, in the Ship via company field, enter the index number that corresponds to the shipping company that will be used.
Specify an identifier for each type of service that you use. Set up the codes that are required by the shipping carrier interface. Later, you can assign a carrier ID to a mode of delivery that represents a type of service, such as Ground or 2-Day Air.
- Click Inventory management > Setup > Shipping carrier > Carrier IDs.
- In the Carrier ID field, enter the carrier ID, such as FO6A, that is required by the carrier interface that you use.
- Enter a description of the carrier service, and select a carrier company and a carrier interface ID.
- Press CTRL+N and repeat steps 2 and 3 for the remaining carrier services that you use.
Specify shipping carrier information for each mode of delivery that requires a shipping carrier.
- Click Sales and marketing > Setup > Distribution > Modes of delivery.
- Select a mode of delivery.
- On the Setup FastTab, select the type of shipping service that is used for the selected mode of delivery. This information is used to sort information on reports.
- Select a carrier ID. This information is used by the shipping carrier software to process the shipment.
- If the mode of delivery originates from a specific warehouse or shipping location, select a carrier account code. For more information, see Carrier company (form).
- Repeat steps 2 through 5 for the remaining modes of delivery.
Set up terms of delivery that can be assigned to sales orders to determine which types of shipping charges are passed on to your customers as miscellaneous charges.
- Click Sales and marketing > Setup > Distribution > Terms of delivery.
- Select a terms of delivery record.
- On the Setup FastTab, select the types of freight charges to move from the shipping carrier software to miscellaneous charges for the selected delivery terms:
- Not applicable – The customer is not charged for freight.
- N/A - third party/collect – The customer is not charged for freight on the invoice. To bill a third party, you must enter a third-party account and a third-party address. To bill the customer using their own shipping carrier account (collect), you must enter an account.
- Core – The customer is charged only for basic freight charges from the shipping carrier software.
- Ancillary and handling – The customer is charged only for additional charges from the shipping carrier software that are designated as ancillary or handling.
- Core, ancillary, and handling – The customer is charged for all charges from the shipping carrier software.
You can specify default shipping information for each customer account.
- Click Accounts receivable > Common > Customers > All customers.
- Double-click a customer account and then click the Addresses FastTab.
- Select an address and then click Edit.
- If a third party is billed for freight directly by the shipping carrier, select Third-party shipping address in the Purpose field and enter information on theAddress FastTab for the third party's billing address for freight charges. This information is transferred to the shipping carrier software when sales orders for the customer are processed.
- Click the Delivery FastTab and then select a mode of delivery.
- If you do not want a return address to appear on documents, select the Blind shipment check box. Your legal entity or warehouse return address information will not be printed on the packing slip or invoice for this customer.
- If the address is located in a residential area, select the Residential destination check box. The shipping carrier might use a different schedule for delivery to a residential destination.
- You can enter the customer's account number for the shipping carrier that is associated with the carrier ID. The carrier ID and carrier account number are copied to sales orders when they are created.
- Click OK.
- If the customer should be charged a fuel surcharge, click the Invoice and delivery FastTab in the Customers form, and then select the Charge fuel surcharge check box.
When you have completed the other setup tasks, activate the shipping carrier interfaces that you use.
- Click Inventory management > Setup > Shipping carrier > Carrier interface.
- Select the Enabled check box for each shipping carrier that you use.
- Select the Test mode check box for each shipping carrier that you use. When you have confirmed that the setup is correct, clear this check box.
Create Sales Order
After configuring the shipping carrier, now create new sales order.
- Click Account Receivable > Common > All sales orders.
- Create new sales order and select the customer who is configure for shipping carrier.
- After you generate the packing slip, test mode form will be open (As below), enter the detail for ship tracking and click Ok.
Hope this will help everyone to integrate shipping carrier with AX.
Pir Mohammad Rana